August 20, 2010

Repair Estimate: $2600

Well, the techs at Big Sky BMW-Kawasaki in Missoula MT had a look at my bike this morning, and the front u-joint on the drive shaft is definitely dead.  No ideas on why that happened.  The kicker is that the failing u-joint thrashed around inside the swing arm enough to ruin it as well.  The swing arm alone is about $1000.  The total estimate is $2600.

At first I asked them just to replace the drive shaft and get it running again; I'd ride home with the swing arm beat up and patch it up myself.  Then we rode to the dealership to have a look.  The swing arm is structurally sound, but the beat up portion won't allow a rubber boot to seal properly, which could allow water and debris to get in and possibly cause another failure in time.  The inside of the swing arm is hardly a clean environment, so I didn't think anything serious could happen in a week of riding even if the boot didn't seal perfectly.  I wanted to just ride home with the damaged swing arm and try to complete the seal with JB Weld or some other filler, but Dad thought that could be risky because debris might get in during the week's ride home.  The tech who was working on my bike seemed willing to discuss doing my JB Weld idea, but noted it'd take time to clean up the beat up swing arm and get the JB Weld set with the proper clip and rubber boot.  Even if he'd try it, we wouldn't be rolling until Monday.  The service manager didn't like the JB Weld idea at all, so I'm not sure if it was really an option.  I really didn't like the idea of replacing a $1000 swing arm that is still structurally OK, but a failed u-joint can be pretty dangerous, potentially causing a rear wheel lock up.  It was a tough decision, and I only had a few minutes to consider it because it was right at the deadline for ordering parts overnight.  In the end I decided to go with a new swing arm, at the cost of what Jess and I usually spend on a week's vacation per person.  No vacation in 2011, or rather, Jess will have to go by herself.

It may have been the fact that we hadn't eaten yet, but when I got the $2600 estimate around 13:30, I felt sick to my stomach.  I've never paid that much to repair any vehicle before.  I don't think I've spend that much on repairs in total for my 2001 Honda VF750 Magna with about 55,000 miles on it.  I'm not feeling any love for my Beemer right now.

The good news is that parts should arrive by tomorrow, and they'll do whatever is necessary to have it running by the end of the day.  They have two other bikes that are broken down right now, so they've got their hands full with emergency jobs.  I'm happy with Big Sky's service, but not my motorcycle or the situation.


Ug.

13 comments:

  1. wow dude, sorry to hear it.. BMW bikes always look like they rock. I've done your trip before (however in the relative safety of a car) (nb---->bc----->ak----->az) - Don't think I want to do it again :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear all the problems you're having with the Beemer. Try and look on the bright...you'll have a nearly new machine by the time you get back!

    The experience with your dad is priceless. I've always dreamed of doing this type of trip with my dad but late onset of arthritis has sidelined him indefinitely. A few years from now, the $$$ spent on this trip won't even compare with the experience you can share for the rest of your life.

    Ride safe!
    Eric G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, part of me knows you're right Eric, but right now it seems like my bike is more problem than it is worth. This trip, which was already a stretch, is costing much more than ever expected.

    Still, these are problems that I've the money to fix, so they're not really serious problems at all. Neither one of us is hurt, and for that I'm grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn Nick, sounds like my Passat (i paid $8600 and then immediately put a couple of $1500 repairs into it).
    Sorry to hear it all, JB Weld is a wonderful thing, every house, car, motorbike should have it (it's keeping propane from leaking out of my oven when its turned on). You will have a new bike when done, and it will have served it's purpose. Get yourself home safely first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know which hit the floor first - my heart or my jaw. I can imagine how devastated you are about the money being spent on this bike, but I agree 100% with Eric. The experience of riding such a trip with your dad is priceless. You're not very likely to do a trip of such proportion with your father again. I'm willing to bet most young men don't get to go on a trip like this with their fathers.

    Don't worry about us not having money to anywhere in the next year. There's awesome riding out here and so much in New England to explore that I will be more than happy to stay put. Who has to travel every year?

    I love you. Come home safe with a grin on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess me and labbit will have to come out there! sorry to hear about the bike Nick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perhaps a gentle letter of complaint to BMW when you return home might be in order, Nick?

    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael, that's probably a much better idea than making a video of the bike being pushed off of a high bluff like I've been planning. I'll give it some thought.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gentle? letter to BMW...? I have some spare rage to spend, Dear Nephew; I could well verse a letter of impact. jus sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, and your wife? worth every inch of the trip home. beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd say a call to BMW for a "sponsor" ad worth about $2,600 on your blog and if they refuse everyone following the trip boycots BMW bikes for life!

    Are you using Mastercard? that's another blog "sponsor" that comes to mind....I can see it now: tow truck - $230; - overnight at Holiday Inn $150; BMW motorcylce repairs $2,600; trip of a lifetime across North America with your 60 year old father - priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear that man. :-(

    ReplyDelete