August 6, 2010

I've seen fire and I've seen rain

Well, I've got several amazing days to post about, but not enough time to type about them all.

For now we're laid over in Dawson City, YT.  Our dreams of riding the Top of the World Highway between Dawson City, YT and Chicken, AK having been dashed by rains that have washed out the highway.  Road repairs won't begin until the rain stops, and the rain isn't stopping until at least tomorrow.  No one knows how many days it'll take for repairs, and we don't have time to wait and find out.  We're going to stay one extra night here in hopes of hearing news that motorcycles might find their way through the construction zone, but the rain is pretty heavy, so that seems impossible now.

Tomorrow, we'll probably ride south back to Whitehorse, then maybe over to ride a scenic loop around Haines Junction, Skagway, and Haines.   The day after that we'd like to start our ride down the Stewart Cassiar Highway but it's been closed on-and-off for the past 10 days due to wildfires.  We'll be lucky if we get through.  Watson Lake, YT, near the north end of the highway, was thick with smoke when we went through about a week ago.  If the fire gets really bad at Watson Lake, then we might be stranded north for a bit because the only two roads south (Stewart Cassiar and the Alaska Highway) junction there.

If we could only move this rain down to the fires...

3 comments:

  1. Good luck with the fire and rain, hopefully you'll get to all those places. Too bad you didn't make it to Inuvik, you could have seen the hospital where I was born, I hear its practically a national monument given all the famous Mills who were born or worked there!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan,

    We actually did make it to Inuvik, I just haven't posted about it yet. I'm posting a little out of order, trying to keep people up to date with where we actually are and going back on making longer posts about how the trip went. Look back in a while and there will be posts about the Arctic.

    I knew your Dad worked up there for a while, but I had no idea you were born there! Funny, I didn't see any signs on the way into town about The Mills Monument, but I must have just missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the BC wildfires don't delay you from meeting up with me in Vancouver. I still hope to see you two before I fly back to Toronto and head home.

    It does seem like you're doing a good job of finding alternate routes when you encounter rain, fire or construction zones. Never forget that the ride is just as important (if sometimes not more so) than the destination.

    ReplyDelete