August 21, 2010

Raucus Night at the Holiday Inn Missoula

Last night Dad and I walked about an hour to a theatre to catch the late showing of "Inception".  The movie got out at 00:30, so we got back to the hotel around 01:30.  Around 02:30, we were woken up by thumping of feet (or was that bowling balls?) and slamming of doors.  This had happened around the same time the night before as well.  This time I called down to the front desk, and in about 20 minutes the noise stopped.

It took a while to fall back asleep again, soon after which we were woken by the fire alarm.  We had a balcony that overlooked an indoor courtyard in the middle of the building, so I watched for a while to see what was happening instead of immediately evacuating.  The alarm stopped after a while, and instead of going outside I saw other guests just sitting around the courtyard.  We went back to sleep.

In the morning there was a letter slid under our door apologizing for the noise from the guests upstairs, and promising us free breakfast at the hotel's restaurant.  All I wanted was sleep, but I'll take food as well.

While at breakfast we got some more of the story of last night.  The thumping was drunk kids coming home from the bars.  They were disturbing the whole 4th floor, not just us below them on the 3rd floor.  They got kicked out.  Sometime after that EMTs were called in when a guest collapsed as he exited the elevator on the 4th floor.  Apparently he fell right out of his own shoes.  Sometime after that someone pulled the fire alarm.  Not only did that wake up the whole hotel, it also resulted in some other teens getting busted for smoking pot when the fire department came and swept for smoke.  They hadn't set off the alarm, but they got caught because of it.

The motorcycle is expected to be repaired late today, so instead of getting an hour or two down the road and having to setup camp, then break it down again in the morning before riding, we've decided to stay one last night in Missoula and get going early Sunday morning.  That is, of course, if we get some sleep.

We're staying in a different hotel tonight, but not because of anything I've mentioned.  I originally booked two nights via Hotwire and I'm not able to extend our stay at the same rate, which was about 40% of tonight's regular rate.  I found another good deal on Travelocity, so we're off to another hotel.  It's a bit of a hassle, but we've nothing better to do today.

3 comments:

  1. damn whippersnappers! what'd you think of Inception? hope you get some rest tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I felt like an old curmudgeon calling the front desk about the noise. The sad thing was, this was the third night in a row that we were woken up by drunks. The past two nights were in the hotel, and previously while camping. A few nights ago I had to go over and bang on the door of a camper at 00:30 and ask some drunks to please be quite. I wanted to say something about not being able to hear my episode of Matlock, and shake my old man fist at them, but I just stomped back through the forest to my tent.

    I thought Inception was fantastic! I'd say it's one of the best studio movies I've seen in a while. It had a thoughtful and well constructed story, with good action sequences and stunning visuals. Most of the "revelations" were easy to see coming, but I didn't find that detracted from the telling of the story at all. I was pretty sure it was going to end the way it did, but I still found myself rapt with anticipation for those last few moments. I love it when a movie plays me like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You old CURR mudgeon!
    Great review...i don't know why ur not doing this for a living.

    ReplyDelete