July 16, 2010

Ready to Roll

All loaded up and ready to roll

Everything is loaded on the bike, except the computer I'm typing on and the camera that took the picture.  Even the tires I'll be carrying to Toronto are on there, just to let me test how I've anchored them.  Tomorrow morning I'll ride to work all loaded up, and after lunch I'll leave to meet The Dad on the Atlantic coast of New Hampshire.  He'll be riding from New Brunswick, so he's got a full day's ride tomorrow.  That makes it The Official First Day of the Trip, even though we'll be coming to Bellows Falls for the first night.  One last night in my own bed, then my 6 weeks of traveling really begins.

Many people have been asking for weeks if I'm "excited".  I normally answer "yes" because I'm definitely looking forward to the trip, but "excited" really isn't the right word.  I've been too busy trying to wrap up things at work and finish prep for the trip to really get excited.  People also often wonder if I'm nervous.  I am, but not much, perhaps for the same reasons I'm not especially excited.  It certainly doesn't feel like I'm about to leave on a Big Adventure.  Perhaps that's just because I'm going to work in the morning, and sleeping in my own bed tomorrow night.  Still, I can't see myself feeling much different about Saturday either.  I figure I'll have to be on the road several days before it starts to feel real.

For those of you who've been asking if I'm going to sleep OK the night before: I'm wiped.  I'm gonna sleep like the dead.

7 comments:

  1. It's weird. I'm excited for Nick and his father, and I'm so incredibly happy that they are living the dream, but at the same time, I'm in disbelief that this day has finally come! They have planned for this trip for so long, and a few months ago it seemed like this day was coming up so quickly. Today seems so unreal.

    Have a safe journey. Enjoy every moment of the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home alone for 6 weeks, wooooo! When's the party?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ixnay on the artpay! You're the second person to blab! Most important of all is to keep it secret that I'm sneaking more kittehs into the house while he's gone. Muahahhaah...d'oh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Why are you bringing tires to Toronto?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The tires are knobby on-road/off-road tires. From Toronto they'll be shipped to Whitehorse YK (cheap, thanks to a friend at a shipping company) where we will eventually be reunited and have them mounted before starting the majority of the gravel riding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a safe journey!!!

    Will you guys be carrying cell phones? If so I can give you my number. You can give me a call when you are near Vancouver, I'm sure I can put out a small group to bring you out to eat. You won't wanna miss the food in Vancouver!

    ReplyDelete
  7. .rk: Jess will be in Vancouver for a few weeks, including while Dad and I are in town. She'll be staying with BK most of the time. We'll be staying with Uncle W and Aunt M while we're there, and I hope a bunch of us can get together to eat. See you in about 3 weeks!

    ReplyDelete