July 19, 2010

First Days: Odiorne Point State Park NH to Mississauga ON

Tripometer: 600 some odd miles
Location: Jess' Parent's House, Mississauga, ON

Today was the first full day of the trip for me. Meeting Dad on the coast and dipping our tires and feet in the Atlantic was definitely the start of the trip, but having gone to work first meant the day hardly felt like vacation for me.

Tires in the Atlantic at Odiorne State Park NH

Feet in the Atlantic at Rye Beach, Rye NH

On the way to Bellows Falls VT from our start point at Odiorne Point State Park NH we stopped for dinner and music at Fritz's Fries in Keene NH. My friends' band, Hot Mustard, was playing, and the music and food are always good. We got to chat with them and some other friends while we ate, but didn't stay long because we had work to do before going to bed. (BTW, my apologies to Jim for not saying goodbye when we left. Kelly deciding to tell the entire restaurant about our trip kind of distracted me.)

Hot Mustard playing at Fritz's Fries, Keene NH

Late Night Dremeling

We stayed up later than planned installing some equipment onto Dad's bike, so we slept a little late and hit the road at about 8:30. Jess rode with us as far as Chester, which was a very nice send off. Saying goodbye to Jess was much harder than I thought it'd be. Not that I thought it'd be easy, but I didn't expect the very strong and visceral urge I had at one point to just call off the trip and stay home. That happened before we left the house, and felt like it was partly just nervousness. Actually saying "goodbye" and riding away from her in Chester was pretty gut wrenching though, and I had to make fun of myself for going all "Ewan"*.

Ready to leave for our first full day

Having pushed all feelings deep down inside where they belong (that one is for you, Rambo - I still remember your sage advice from years ago ;) ) the trip continued on to Max BMW in Troy, NH where we bought and installed a new air filter for Dad's bike. I should have done that same, but was slow to decide so will have to pick one up elsewhere.

The ride across upstate NY was as boring as usual, but for the excitement of sun and wind. The wind was strong enough to prompt other travelers at the Interstate's service stops to ask us, "how ya doin' in this wind?" It wasn't blowing us out of our lane, but it kept things interesting. I found the heat quite hard to deal with, and was totally wiped by the end of the day. I had a pretty serious case of heat stroke when I was 7, and I'm told that often effects your ability to deal with heat for the rest of your life. I never thought much off it through years of climbing, biking, Ultimate, etc., but recently I've noticed my riding partners always fare much better than I on hot days. I'll pull over because I'm starting to feel a wee bit wonky in the head, but Jess or Dad will say they just feel pretty hot. Time for me to invent in-helmet-AC.

We got into Mississauga around 7:30pm, and dropped off the knobby tires to my kick-ass friend who is shipping them to Whitehorse for us on the cheap. S, we can't thank you enough! Plans fell apart (well, never really started) for meeting up with my sister, so Jess parent's took just Dad and I out for dinner at Congee Dynasty. It was yummy as always, and fun to see Dad try new food - he's always game.

We cleaned up and slept well at Jess' parents'. Sleeping in Jess' old room would have made me miss her terribly if I were able to stay conscious for more than 10 seconds once in bed.



*"Ewan" is a term Jess and I use to describe someone who gets all nambsy-pambsy about missing "love ones" like their "wife" and "children" while on motorcycle trips of a lifetime. Some of you may have seen the inspiration for this term as Ewan McGregor bellyached about missing his family in "The Long Way Round". Pfft...**

**I kid!  Ewan and Charlie's books and shows are a big reasons Dad and I are even on this trip, just like thousands of other recent adventure tourers.  

4 comments:

  1. In hindsight I'm glad I only rode to Chester. I found it very hard not to ditch plans with my friend in Hanover and just keep riding.

    I wouldn't have gotten very far without my own gear packed, and it would have been even harder to say goodbye. In any case, I'm so happy you two are embarking on this trip. Ride safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved the "Ewan" moment...great books too!
    Eric G.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roy, Nick,
    How are you two doing? Hope you are travelling well - I know the bikes will run fine. I made it to my brother's OK. Thought about you two at Kakabeka Falls. Hope it wasn't too wet! We had a downpour in town. Streets were like rivers!
    Got to Eagle Lake today (Wednesday). Just relaxing by the lake - may go fishing a couple of times - bass, walleye, pike, trout, and muskies!
    Stopped in a Timmies in Dryden. Two Beemers pulled in. A r1200RT and a 1200 GS. Both riders from N.B. Heading home from the MOA rally in Redmon Oregon.
    You two ride safe. I'l be following your blog. Really happy to have met you on the way.
    Take care. Have a fantastic trip.
    Rick Elliott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Rick,

    It's good to hear you've arrived, and hopefully you've caught some fish by now.

    We ate a restaurant at the edge of Thunder Bay to avoid cooking in the rain before heading to Kakabeka Falls, and by the time we finished the rain had stopped so we setup and stayed dry.

    Funny you should mention the bikes running well... I'll be posting about some trouble we've run into. We're in Saskatoon right now, and as long as parts arrive at the dealership tomorrow we'll be repaired and back underway by Saturday.
    Nice to meet you too, and thanks for stopping by the blog.

    -Nick

    ReplyDelete