June 3, 2010

Baxter(d) State Park

Even though it's much closer to Dad than it is to me, I originally wanted to meet up in Baxter State Park for our Memorial Weekend shakedown trip.  I figured some of the more out-of-the-way sites wouldn't be overrun with long weekend campers, the hiking would be good, and there would be tons of dirt roads to practice riding on with the bikes all loaded up.  To my pleasant surprise, there were lots of sites still available in Baxter when I finally got around to checking; so many, in fact, that I took my time calling to make reservations.  I'm eventually talking with a park ranger, and I'm literally starting to say my credit card number when she stops me and says, "oh, I forgot to go over the rules first, just in case."  Just in case what?  Just in case I plan on canceling my reservations at the last minute?  Just in case I plan on feeding the bears?  Just in case plan on hunting endangered species with an assault rifle?  Wrong, wrong, and wrong.  Just in case I plan on doing something really crazy, like showing up on a motorcycle!  Baxter State Park does not allow motorcycles.  Period.

"Why?" I inquire.   

"The roads can be really rough, and some bikes couldn't make it.  Also, there can be noise issues." she informs me.  Now, I know I'm not going to get anywhere arguing with this lady, which I admit to her, but I find it necessary to point out that those issues could very easily apply to many cars.  My bike is make quite specifically for roads exactly like theirs, and is no louder than most pickup trucks.  Those points, of course, were of no matter.  We would not be staying in Baxter State Park for this trip.

Baxterds.

No comments:

Post a Comment